No so much bad as completely unnecessary. What more did we need to know about this character after he was featured prominently in 3 movies?
This movie fills in the gaps that were left after 3 X-Men movies that focused nearly exclusively on Wolverine. Wait, what gaps? It’s like when artists like Tom Petty & Bruce Springsteen feel compelled to record “solo” albums; guys, it’s your band, with your name – what, are you being held back?
So why was this movie necessary? Good question. Let me know if you figure it out; I never did. And that’s really the problem with the movie – it just isn’t really needed. We knew enough about this character; possibly too much. Filling in every gap doesn’t accomplish anything. It may seem to satisfy our need to know everything, but once we do know everything we realize we were probably better off with a little mystery.
- Liev Schreiber is quite a good villain.
- Script does the nearly impossible feat of making Sabretooth an interesting character.
- First sign of trouble: casting a rapper as an actor. Nearly always the wrong choice.
- The blades have never looked less convincing; stick with practical effects, guys.
- Boxing with Blob? Why? Easily the most wasteful five minutes in any Marvel film, ever.
- Didn’t expect Cyclops to show up. Thought this was just going to be the B team mutants.
- Sigh, wire work. Always so much wire work.
- How many times in this movie do Wolverine & Sabretooth have essentially the same fight? Stand twenty feet apart, hold arms out to side and flex, Sabretooth grins, Wolverine yells, and they charge.
- Some of these effects are really unacceptable for 2009.
Mutant rundown (SPOILERS):
- Gambit – fights with playing cards and pool cues. Please…This character must have been created during Happy Hour…
- Someone named Agent Zero. I still can’t figure out if this was supposed to be a mutant, and I’m tired of looking up things that should have been made obvious by the filmmakers.
- There are mutants named Bolt, well played by the always entertaining Dominic Monaghan, and Kestral, played by the never entertaining will.i.am.
- His love interest in the movie is a mutant? I admit I started to get bored around this point in the movie. I’m guessing her ability is to advance the plot.
- Emma Frost looks really cool.
- Deadpool – I gather that this character has a Boba Fett-type following, though I don’t see it based on the film, although they changed the character’s arc massively. They’re making a movie just for him. Sadly it will also star Ryan Reynolds.
|Main Cast||Hugh Jackman Logan/Wolverine, Liev Schreiber Victor Creed, Ryan Reynolds Wade Wilson, Danny Huston Stryker|
|Release Date||Fri 01 May 2009 UTC|
|Genres||Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller|
|Plot||A look at Wolverine’s early life, in particular his time with the government squad Weapon and the impact it will have on his later years.|
|Writers||David Benioff (screenplay) and, Skip Woods (screenplay)|